"The aim of life is to LIVE, and to live means to be AWARE, joyously, drunkenly, serenly, divinely AWARE."
- Miller




Tuesday, September 1, 2009

BITTERSWEET


Rachel believed that everyone has a creative side. Maybe that's why Ubud reminds us so much of her. This small city in the central mountains of Bali is an expression of art and beauty. Painters, woodcarvers, silversmiths, bead makers, sculptors and weavers line the streets and small villages surrounding the town. Balinese dance exemplifies the culture and traditions. Music streams from the cafes and restaurants. The countryside filled with rice terraces, gigantic palm trees, rivers, and temples takes your breath away. Even daily offerings to ward off evil spirits and thank the gods are a work of art. The true beauty of course, is in the spirit and open hearts of the people who live here.

A few funnies..
* rented a motor bike to get around with Carin on the back pinching and screaming all the way because Mike was driving like a local
* were " attacked" in the Monkey Forest Sanctuary when a gray monkey stole Mike's water bottle right out of his hand, opened it and quenched his thirst
* almost attacked again during breakfast in the hotel when a really big monkey climbed up the stairs to the outdoor dining area, where we were sitting and decided to have breakfast, more specifically our breakfast. Mike, the big protector, jumped up leaving me to fend for myself and hid behind the 5 foot, 90 pound waitress carrying a tray of food. When asked about his bravery (lack of) he blamed it on our dear friend Jan Snooks and her monkey story, which flashed before his eyes.
* We took a jungle hike led by Ketut our very cute, energetic guide. After a fairly challenging climb up to the top of the rice fields and then a treacherous decent down to the rivers edge, Ketut proceeded to remove his new sneakers and shorts informing us that the bridge hadn't been built yet and it was only waist deep. Carin's eyes perked up (like saucers), thought surely she heard wrong and asked very calmly, "isn't there any other way back?", mind you this is after 3 hours of trekking. Ketut all of 5'7, 140 lbs, smiled and offered to carry her across. Needless to say we kept our clothes on and had a refreshing dip.

12 comments:

  1. First there is the written post of your latest adventures; a snapshot that fills me up; the there are the photos. Each one tells a complete new story. The photo of the paintings with the nude and the bananas: I swear those were painted by Rachel. Bittersweet for certain.

    CONTINUE TO BEWARE OF MONKEYS!

    Love,
    Jan

    somehow I am on Corinne's account

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story about Dad the protector, it's like the time we were at lake powell and a storm came through, Keith said he'd never seen a grown man run for cover so fast. Glad to know things haven't changed in Bali. I also can picture little Ketut offering to carry Mom across the river while i'm know Dad stood laughing without even the slightest suggestion of giving her a ride on his back. Rachel i'm sure loved it all, from the people and art to you two laughing your way through Bali... Lots of Love xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just picture Carin asking if there's another way around the water--Beware of monkies--especially Mike. Keep trekking--Love Mom & Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in awe of the beauty and adventure that you both capture in your photos, it allows us to take this journey with you. What an amazing world out there!! one that very few get to experience the way to two of you are. Enjoy.
    Love of love
    Sue
    p.s. Owen is the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so maybe next time i shouldnt read your blog in the middle of my anthropology lecture because i just started laughing out loud when i read this blog. looks amazing. glad you are having an amazing time. sorry about getting hannah a little sick i swear people looked at me like i had the swine flu but we are going strong. like mike's favorite girl beyonce says "im a survivor". safe travels and miss you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly Dad... I have seen your heroic efforts before and would think you would remember that sense of glory and bring it back. It really is a big surprise that Mom was hesitant to go in the water, considering I thought stumbling though icy cold rivers was one of her favorite past times. I know Rachel is loving every minute, probably laughing with water flying out of the mouth and nose! LOVE you lots and lots and sending big big big hugs.
    P.S. Give some of the hugs you would normally provide me with and share them with all the nice people (I have taught you well so they will enjoy the hugs I promise)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures are breathtaking, your words are inspiring, and Mike in a sarong is hysterical!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep the blog post coming guys- these are great stories. Those monkeys can be relentless. I once saw one steal some potato chips right out of this woman's hand while she was in her hotel room on her bed in Rishikesh. Crazy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carin, I can't believe that Mike was able to sucker you into riding on the back of a motorbike with him. Are you crazy! You should have consulted with me first. I've been on the back of a motorcycle with him many times when we were kids, and trust me, it was not pretty. First of all, he gave me this Nazi looking helmet to wear for protection. That should have been my first sign that I was making a big mistake. I looked like a 13 year old Colonel Klink. I figured my older brother wouldn't do anything crazy to jeopardize the safety of his younger brother. Wrong! Then, without even telling me the plan, he proceeded to go off of a big jump with me on the back. Naturally we fell, and Mike was hysterical laughing of course. I could have prevented all of that unnecessary stress,anxiety and screaming you went through if you just asked me. But you've got to admit... you probably haven't had your blood pumping and felt that kind of exhilaration in a long time. I'm looking forward to reading more about all of your exhilarating experiences and looking at your great pictures. Keep having fun.

    Love,

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi guys,
    Really enjoy reading about your adventures. Sounds incredible. Mike - I know you were getting in a better position to handle that monkey. Love the pictures. Take care you two.
    Love,
    Liz and Ricky

    ReplyDelete
  11. At least that monkey didn't play the bongo's on your head and then bite you like some guy we saw.....ouch, thanks for the great night together ( I think I've caught a cold, so worth it though...) see you in Sydney. Amanda:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michelle sent me your blog info. So happy to see the world through your eyes and stories. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete