"The aim of life is to LIVE, and to live means to be AWARE, joyously, drunkenly, serenly, divinely AWARE."
- Miller




Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Namaste




Namaste, " I honor the spirit in you which is also in me", a beautiful greeting that introduced us to the people and glorious mountains of Nepal. We spent 15 days in this beautiful country. Two days preparing, eight days trekking and 5 days recovering. After climbing Uluru, tramping the Abel Tasaman & Queen Charlotte and hiking the hillsides of Sap pa we really thought we were ready for the Himalayas. Boy were we mistaken. Even with a porter carrying the brunt of the load, in flip flops, we still were huffing and puffing after three hours straight up hill and that was just the beginning of day one. Each day there after was pretty much the same until the last day when we started our decent, 3200 steps down in just the first hour. There were rewards, sunrise at the top of Pune Hill (killer 5:00AM climb) with a magnificent, panoramic view of the Annapurna Range including Machhapuchhare, known as Fishtail and the Dhaulagiri, peaks towering over 24,000 ft., beautiful rhododendron forests of red and pinks and tea houses cooking up delicious Tibetan bread smothered in honey. Our stay in Kathmandu was short but a great place to recuperate, eat a little western food and visit Bhaktpur a UNESCO World Heritage site, the most well perserved medieval city which turned out to be an unexpected delight anda great way to end our adventure in Nepal. So we say to all of you NAMASTE!

5 comments:

  1. I knew you guys would make it considering you can trek anything!! This means you guys will be fully prepared to climb Table Mountain in Cape Town. MISS YOU TO PIECES!! LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. While we were biking in Cuba, I was thinking of you trekking. We were at sea level and pretty challenged. I stand in awe at your physical strength, your engagement with the world and your photographic abilities. Forget teaching, your are a photographer who captures the essence and the spirit.

    love to you!!!!!!!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike and Carin,

    You continue to awe and inspire us back home. Your stories are terrific and your pictures unbelievable (and now the wallpaper on my computer). I hope that you enjoy your last couple months of traveling, and I look forward to seeing you both in June!

    Love,
    Alexa

    ReplyDelete
  4. So word around the globe is that bigworldsmalltravelers is coming to morocco soon! I am going to be in Chefchaouen (its around Tangier and Fez) the first weekend of May and it would be absolutely amazing if I could see you two! Let me know/tell Han and she will inform me. Until then continue to have an amazing journey in Africa and have so much fun with Han down in the Cape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carin! Hi Mike!

    Just want to tell you I love your blog! Your pictures are awesome and I'm continualy jealous of all of your amazing adventures. I'm happy that you're having such a fantastic time. I hear you'll be back in CO in June-- I'll be home around then and really hope we can catch up! Until then, safe travels and keep the posts coming!

    xoxo,
    laur

    ReplyDelete